Quick Links

The CD Reissue Wish List blog has been discontinued as of October 2015, as it had served its initial purpose.

Please click on the following links for:

CDRWL News

CDRWL Priority 1


CDRWL Priority 2

New CDRWL items and/or new notes on items previously featured here.

CDRWL LPs for sale

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Rayuela, Argentina

Rayuela - s/t. 1977 Orfeo

Unlike yesterday's Neuron, this album came directly as a result of the CD-R revisit project. And I was so enamored with it, that I went ahead and bought the LP immediately.

Unfortunately I got scammed by an unscrupulous dealer from Argentina, who sent a far lesser copy than the one in the ebay photo (it's painfully obvious I assure you). Of course I can get my money refunded (ebay "ruled in my favor") - but I have to send back the album (on my own dime!) to Argentina with tracking (from a "one company" service (FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc...) and not the USPS), which costs about $50 (who's going to do that?) Hence...the scam. And ebay enables it. So frustrating. Oh well. So I overpaid by about $30. I'll get over it. I've had way worse restaurant experiences than that. And besides that dealer will rot in hell anyway. Bad Karma and all that...

OK - I feel better now. Where were we? Ah yes, Rayuela. This album is really starting to win me over. I'm a bit surprised it didn't hit me harder some 8 years ago when I first heard it. It's got that magical sound, like we hear from Italy during this time. Here are my notes: Rayuela are yet another late 1970s band from Argentina who took a swipe at the fusion fad. Where there's separation, however, is the higher quotient of melodic interplay, giving it that strong symphonic progressive rock feel. And the second track is an absolute stunner in the Celeste/Errata Corrige school of Italian soft progressive rock. In one case, Rayuela extends their stylistic brush a bit too far, such as the awkward singer songwriter blues number, right from the Louisiana bayou, complete with harmonica. I think they were going for a Jumbo style here, and fell short. No matter, as that's the only shortcoming here. The instrumental tracks are stunning, and the guitar/sax playing here is superb, along with the passionate vocals. It's like stumbling on a lost Italian album from 1975. Excellent album.

There is a CD out there, but it's at best a "gray area reissue", so let's hope for something better!

Priority: 2

No comments: