Quick Links

The CD Reissue Wish List blog has been discontinued as of October 2015, as it had served its initial purpose.

Please click on the following links for:

CDRWL News

CDRWL Priority 1


CDRWL Priority 2

New CDRWL items and/or new notes on items previously featured here.

CDRWL LPs for sale

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

John Bassman Group, Netherlands

John Bassman Group - Filthy Sky. 1970 A.S.P. (Germany)

I've got a whole new batch of rarities that have come in - some came from even before I finished the last series. I haven't had a chance to listen to any of those yet, and I'm targeting January/February to launch the 2014 Rarities Series.

In the meantime, I've been revisiting old CD-R's that I have laying about. Most of these are in the CDRWL now. Some have already been published with their own post, and on those I'm just updating the entries as I go (small tweaks to the reviews - maybe a priority change one point up or down). If there are any significant changes, I will let everyone know.

In addition to the small revisions, many of the titles never got their own post. In some cases, I still won't bother, but in others - such as this series of posts I have coming up - I think they're worthy. The reason this happened was - if you recall - I had moved to blogspot from my personal website (in 2009). So I was posting one album a day. But I was trying to focus on only the very best titles. As such, many of the titles just fell through the cracks. And John Bassman Group is a good example of that.

"Filthy Sky" is mostly run of the mill blues rock – some tracks are closer to the country barn than to the cities' dark brick alleyways. There are a couple of great tracks – especially 'His Name Was Tom', which has some of the coolest wah wah effects this side of Amon Duul II’s “Tanz Der Lemming”. The slow burn of 'Two Rings' is also not to be missed. There's some real junk on here too, namely the country/blues/gospel duo of 'Teddy Boy's Blues' and 'Sing a Song at my Grave'. And I've never been a fan of the selfish look-at-us hippy dippy rock of 'Woodstock Generation'. 'Can You Dig It' oddly reminds me of a jangly Black Sabbath 'Paranoid'. The John Bassman Group features a mix of XX and XY vocals. Might appeal to fans of Affinity and Goliath, but there's not near enough meat on the bones here to satisfy the hungry psych collector.

There is a legit LP on Missing Vinyl of Greece. But no legit CD to date.

Priority: none

No comments: