Quick Links

The CD Reissue Wish List blog has been discontinued as of October 2015, as it had served its initial purpose.

Please click on the following links for:

CDRWL News

CDRWL Priority 1


CDRWL Priority 2

New CDRWL items and/or new notes on items previously featured here.

CDRWL LPs for sale

Monday, May 4, 2015

Cruciferius, France

Cruciferius - A Nice Way of Life. 1970 Barclay

My history with Cruciferius is a similar tale to Alpha Ralpha, in that it's an album I was familiar with - had somewhat of a mediocre impression - and completely forgot about it. Like a lot of people, I was drawn to this title due to the Magma connection, in particular one Bernard Paganotti. I had a chance to hear this album in the late 80s, and it didn't sound anything like Magma. Therefore it isn't any good! What? Ah, the impetuousness of youth! As I ran across the name recently, I realized I didn't even have a copy of it. But YouTube does, and I heard it in full for the first time objectively. And what you find is a band with similar influences to Magma at this time. A mix of jazz, pop, and psych, exploring the boundaries of rock during this era. It's not a common sound for France, though one can find similarities in groups such as Alice, Eden Rose, Frantz, Iris,and yes, even Magma's sprawling 2LP double set. And the side group Univeria Zekt. So while not a jaw dropper, it's a fine historical piece well worth a CD reissue, especially if some relevant bonus tracks can be found.

Priority: 3

No comments: