Quick Links

The CD Reissue Wish List blog has been discontinued as of October 2015, as it had served its initial purpose.

Please click on the following links for:

CDRWL News

CDRWL Priority 1


CDRWL Priority 2

New CDRWL items and/or new notes on items previously featured here.

CDRWL LPs for sale

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Earthrise, USA

Earthrise - s/t. 1977 Arceden

As indicated on the Agharta post, I have a couple of CD-R's to report on, similar to the New Age album. Earthrise is one of those, and I'm re-entering it back into the CDRWL after a 15 year absence. In fact, this may be the first time I've heard this album since I obtained the CD-R back then.

Earthrise are an interesting band from New Jersey, who mix progressive rock and fusion seamlessly. In that way, they remind me of This Oneness (from Minnesota). So the vocal sections do have this kind of "Midwest styled AOR progressive" sound that I've documented here, and I find highly appealing. Earthrise doesn't qualify for that list only due to geography. Instrumentally, they can be quite interesting, and many of their ideas are kinetic and creative (organ and Moog progressions on top of complex rhythms specifically). The big BUT here is...

... the sound quality. I used to own the LP (twice actually in the 1990s), but I used it as trade bait for LPs I was more interested in at the time. So I can't tell you the quality of the original LP. A local friend owns one, so I'll be sure to check his copy out in the future for comparison. In the meantime, I bought their self-released "CD" when it first came out in 2000. Well doggone it, but it's a crappy CD-R. A poorly done LP transfer at that (not even a nice copy they could find?). And with a computer print-out for a cover. C'monnnnn, they can do better than that!


And so...

Priority: 2

No comments: