Quick Links

The CD Reissue Wish List blog has been discontinued as of October 2015, as it had served its initial purpose.

Please click on the following links for:

CDRWL News

CDRWL Priority 1


CDRWL Priority 2

New CDRWL items and/or new notes on items previously featured here.

CDRWL LPs for sale

Monday, August 17, 2009

Panta Rei, Sweden


Panta Rei - s/t. 1973 Harvest.

Panta Rei are a difficult group to describe. On the song front, they are relatively weak. It appears they're going for a US West Coast psych sound mixed with a dash of Wishbone Ash thrown in. But the instrumental sections, with emphasis on guitar soloing, is absolutely extraordinary. And fortunately the last 70% or so of the album is primarily instrumental. Closest band I can think of when they're in this type of jamming mode is the Dutch group Cargo, who are one of my personal favorites. I'm sure it's the dual guitar setup that makes me think of this. Last track's ethnic approach gives off a whiff of Kebnekaise as well. As an aside, definitely not an easy cover to look at.

I've been expecting Mellotronen to reissue this for years. Maybe one day they will. Multiple bootlegs exist.

Priority: 2

2 comments:

ojdo said...

Yesteday, I stumbled upon a re-release of this album at the Free Music Archive:
http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Panta_Rei/Panta_Rei/

I'm not sure if this counts as a reissue for you...

Purple Peak Records said...

Hi Ojdo,

Correct - I wouldn't consider it reissued yet. But thanks for the info all the same. I'm sure many folks would be interested in this!

Thanks for commenting.

- Tom