Quick Links

The CD Reissue Wish List blog has been discontinued as of October 2015, as it had served its initial purpose.

Please click on the following links for:

CDRWL News

CDRWL Priority 1


CDRWL Priority 2

New CDRWL items and/or new notes on items previously featured here.

CDRWL LPs for sale

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

News: Laser's Edge launches new reissue label!!

This is some news I've been sitting on for some time (well over a year). I think it's a fantastic idea, and I'm backing the project 100% for what Ken is doing here. And knowing Ken's tastes, you can rest assured many of the albums I have in this list will at least be considered. This is truly exciting news. The US has long been dormant for reissues, and it would be nice to have our own Garden of Delights and Long Hair. And I'm pretty sure Ken will consider albums from all over the world.

Here's the announcement from Ken plus an opportunity to name the label!

"I've had an idea in the back of my head for a number of years that I am finally bringing to fruition.

Many years ago I recognized that there are many great progressive albums that I've become familiar with that deserve attention but because they are obscure they don't stand much of a chance in the market as a full blown reissue.

So here's the deal…I am going to launch a new reissue label. The focus of the label will be on music from the 70s and 80s that has never been on CD before. The scope of the label will be anything that piques my interest that falls under the broad umbrella of progressive music. It could be symphonic rock, fusion, kosmigroov, electronic - its pretty much wide open.

The guidelines for the label will be as follows:

1. We will only work with original master tapes
2. Bob Katz will handle all mastering
3. Detailed liner notes and photos (whenever possible)
4. Packaging will feature Stoughton Printing mini-lp sleeves
5. Original artwork
6. The edition size will be limited to either 500 or 1000 copies depending on the title. We will specify the edition size at publication and not go beyond that regardless of the demand.

I have other ideas I'd like to implement if possible when we are ready to launch.

We already have settled on our first two releases (titles to be announced as soon as the ink is dry on the contracts).

Oh yeah…one other thing. They will be relatively expensive. Because of the costs involved with manufacturing such a small quantity these releases are going to be premium priced. They will only be available from select retailers and will not go through our normal distribution channels.

So here's the thing…I'm lousy at coming up with names for a label. If I had any flair for it I wouldn't have thought up "The Laser's Edge" 23 year ago.

I am launching a contest to name our new reissue label. The winner will receive gratis copies of our first four releases.

The rules are pretty simple. In the interest of transparency I would like all entries to be posted online on our forum. The winner will be notified by email on Monday, April 18th. Post as many as you like. Humorous submissions are OK but it won't bring home the bacon. Please include your email address somewhere in your post so we can contact you in the crazy chance you actually win.

I will be judge, jury, and executioner. If we don't receive any reasonable entries I reserve the right to thumb my nose at you.

Good luck!

Ken Golden

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/lasers-edge/674611-new-lasers-edge-label-contest-launch.html "

No comments: